Sunday, July 7, 2013

Capitol Coney Island

PLACE: Capitol Coney Island (G4021 Van Slyke Road, SE corner of Bristol and Van Slyke).
VISIT NUMBER: Lost Count
REASON FOR RETURNING: My personal favorite Flint Coney Island.

1. PRICE: $
2. CUISINE TYPE: American
3. WAIT TIME TO ORDER: 15 minutes.  I'll explain in the notes.
4. WAIT TIME FOR FOOD: Did not get food.

5. STAFF IMPRESSIONS: Did not seem understaffed, but the waitstaff who were there did not seem to care about those of us who were waiting for food.

6. FOOD IMPRESSIONS/TASTES: N/A.

7. DRINK SELECTIONS: Pepsi products, plus the usual coffee/juice/milk selection.

8. SATISFACTION: Honestly, none.

9. WOULD RECOMMEND?  Not based on this visit, no.

10. NOTES: They are remodeling from the light-50's diner style they had, to a darker style, and had apparently decided that they only needed 8 booths (plus the bar) for their patrons.  As they are a 24-hour restaurant located diagonally from one of the largest employers in the city (and less than a mile from another), this seems like a rather odd move.
I walked in and sat down, as is normal, and the waitress brought me two menus, asking if I was "dining solo".  I said yes.  She sat both menus down, got my drink order out to me, and walked away, and I didn't see her for another five minutes (when she walked to another table to spend some time with those patrons).  Ten minutes later, she walked over to me to ask if I wanted to order some appetizers while I waited.  She either misheard or didn't believe I was dining alone, but had not thought to check on me until I had been waiting for a quarter of an hour.
I finally got to order what I wanted, and sat back to wait, but ended up having to leave almost immediately due to a phone call.  I never received any apology, though one table did have the chef come out to apologize to them over a food mixup, which I thought was rather appropriate.
I honestly was rather upset by my treatment, and if this had been my first visit, I probably would not be back.  My only hope is that the waitstaff is a bit more attentive to a single diner.

No comments:

Post a Comment